Bond School was opened on 20th May 1940, and admitted children from surrounding Junior, Mixed and Infants schools. The ground floor area was used as the Infant School for children aged 5 to 7 and the first floor was for children aged 7 to 11. Although the children were under the same roof the Infants and Juniors were taught separately and each had their own Headteacher and teaching staff.
Education was reorganised in Merton in 1969 and Bond became a primary school for children aged 5 to 9. In 1979 four downstairs classrooms were converted into a Nursery and children aged 3 to 5 were admitted on a part-time basis. Work was then undertaken to convert three large cloakrooms into a staffroom, resources room and adminstrative area. The outside building remains much as it was when first built having escaped the war years with only minor damage and was repaired after a serious fire in 1981. A further reorganisation in 1990 saw Bond Primary School become a school for 3-8 year olds, and begin anew as Bond First School.
The school is situated close to central Mitcham in a predominatley residential area, although light industry and parks are quite nearby.
The village of Mitcham, once famous for its lavender fields, is of historical interest and several notable old buildings survive to the present day. For instance next to the school stands Eagle House, built in 1705 which is supposed to have housed Lady Emma Hamilton in the past. Other eminent people who lived there were Sir James Dole, who gave his name to the local sheltered housing accomodation at the bottom of Bond Road and John Bond, a banker.
Bond Road and Bond School are named after the latter who made Eagle House his residence in 1766. The school is built on the grounds of the old Holborn Schools and the factories adjacent to the school in Bond Road are on the site of the Holborn Hospital.